Directory entries of Archival Repositories 1999


Address: Street: corner of Alexandra and Albert Roads, King William's Town
Postal: P.O. Box 1434, King William's Town, 5600
Telephone: (0433) 2-4506
Fax: (0433) 2-1569
Enquiries to: The Curator of History
Hours of opening: 09h00-13h00, 13h45-16h30
Access: The holdings of the History Section of this museum are available to the public on an appointment only basis.

Brief history: The Kaffrarian Museum has its origins in the King William's Town Naturalist Society founded in 1884. Since the opening of the museum, historical artefacts were donated by the public. Only in 1971, however, was the first Historian appointed. The History collection consists today of a large amount of artefacts. The Missionary Museum was founded and incorporated by the Kaffrarian Museum and also forms part of the duties of the History section.

Acquisitions policy: The Section of History endeavours to collect, preserve, curate and research both physical evidence and oral reminiscences of all the peoples of the Province of the Eastern Cape, with special reference to the greater King William's Town region, with the aim to interpret and to disseminate this information. We have a specific acquisitions record published in "The policy of the Kaffrarian Museum". For example the museum practices a policy of selective acquisition.

Areas of specialisation: All aspects of the local history of the Greater King William's Town area. The Cape Mounted Riflemen. The German Settlers of 1857-1859. Missionary activity in the Eastern Cape. Coloured people of this region (new field of research).

Core holdings: All aspects of local history of this area, including the Former British Kaffraria. Includes genealogical information, military, educational, social, religious, municipal, etc. contributions. For example we are in possession of the original letterbooks of Dr. JP Fitzgerald, the First Medical Superintendent of British Kaffraria, 1856-1884 (unpublished). Cape Mounted Riflemen (CMR). The Museum is the recognised repository of the CMR. Our CMR collection includes an incomplete nominal list of the CMR. The German Settlers of 1856-1859. Includes information on the British German legionaries and civilian settlers who came to this area. Includes a vast amount of genealogical information on these two groups. Missionary activities in the Eastern Cape includes a large Lovedale collection and information on missionary stations, missionaries and products of missionary work in this province.

Finding aids: Inventory of the History collection, including our Documents Room (unpublished and incomplete). Index of members of the British German Legion and civilian German Settlers. Newspaper Index for genealogical research of the Kaffrarian Watchman and Cape Mercury (from 1860). Burial records of this area. Computer database for the museum's photographic holdings. Computer database of the Burial Register of King William's Town, 1865-1973.

National register participation: No.



Address: Street: 220 Marriott Road, Durban, 4001
Telephone: (031) 207-3711
Fax: (031) 209-1622
Website: *
Enquiries to: The Director
Hours of opening:

Mon-Fri 08h30-12h30 and 13h30-16h30
Sat 09h00-12h00
(phone in advance as the library is sometimes closed for fumigation on Saturdays)
Visits to the Museums are by appointment only - for information please telephone (031) 207-3432.

Access: Library material, unless temporarily removed for cataloguing, binding or restoration, is available to researchers in the reading room of the Killie Campbell Africana Library.

Brief history: This library is named after Killie Campbell (1881 - 1965), an avid bibliophile and collector, who from an early age built up her valuable and unique collection of manuscripts, books, photographs, maps and government publications, which cover a broad sweep of information about southern Africa, with particular emphasis on the KwaZulu Natal region. The collection which was bequeathed to the University of Natal, is housed in the family home, Muckleneuck, where Killie Campbell lived from 1916 until her death. Muckleneuck also houses several museums established by members of the Campbell family and the entire complex is known as the Campbell Collections of the University of Natal.

Acquisitions policy: The acquisitions policy established by Killie Campbell has to a large extent been continued by the University of Natal. The extension of the manuscripts collection is mainly through donation by interested members of the public or academic community. However if appropriate collections, particularly if they are relevant to KwaZulu Natal, become available on the market the library purchases them if funds are available.

Areas of specialisation: The manuscripts collection is well known as an important source on the early history of contact between the Nguni-speaking people of the KwaZulu Natal region and the British colonists. The ensuing interaction of the two societies, including the activities of peasant farmers, chiefs, traders, missionaries, colonial farmers and armies, is documented in various collections in the library. Amongst these there is a variety of documents relating to two major nineteenth-century conflicts in the region, namely, the Anglo-Zulu War and the South African War (1899-1903). Other noteworthy collections include records of educational institutions, farmers' associations, sporting bodies, various commercial undertakings and welfare and conservation organisations. Several collections reflect various facets of the political conflicts of the post-1948 era.

Core holdings: Examples of core holdings related to the areas of specialisation mentioned above include: The James Stuart Collection contains verbatim records of interviews conducted in the early 20th century with a wide range of Zulu-speaking informants, reflecting their history, social lives and culture. The Colenso Papers contain correspondence and writings of Bishop JW Colenso and his family. The Evelyn Wood Papers, consisting of the letters of a prominent military figure in Britain's colonial empire. The records of the Inanda Seminary, an important educational institution where many African women were educated. The EG Malherbe Collection is a useful source of information about the life, thought and activities of a educationalist who was best known as a former vice-chancellor of the University of Natal. His research included areas such as "Poor Whites", educational theory and issues such as racism in education. The Black Sash Records give some insight into the work of this organisation's coastal branch, including the activities of the advice offices. The records of the Oral History Project facilitated by the Killie Campbell Library between 1979 and 1982, provide information about the domestic lives, social, economic and political activities of a broad cross-section of mainly Zulu-speaking people in the Durban functional region.

Finding aids: The manuscript collection is accessible by means of various finding aids. There is a card catalogue with basic information about each individual collection which has been acquired by the library whether the documents are sorted or not. An inventory is available for most collections which have been sorted, and many of the sorted collections are listed on the URICA computer catalogue, with basic subject-headings.

National register participation: Although preparatory investigations have been carried out to enable the collections to be included on the National Register of Manuscripts, the Killie Campbell Library is not yet linked to NAREM.



Address: Street: corner of Margaretha Prinsloo and Lombard Street, Pienaarsdorp, Klerksdorp
Postal: P.O. Box 99, Klerksdorp, 2570
Telephone: (018) 462-3546
Fax: (018) 464-1780
Enquiries to: The Curator
Hours of opening:

Mon-Fri 10h00-13h00,
Sat 09h30-12h00
Sun and Public Holidays 14h00-17h00
Closed: Good Friday, 16 and 25 December

Access: By appointment.

Brief history: Part of museum collection since 1975.

Acquisitions policy: Only items related to North West Province.

Areas of specialisation: Cultural history.

Core holdings: Documents regarding residents and events of this area. Photographs regarding residents and events of this area.

Finding aids: Computerized.

National register participation: No.



Address: Postal: Private Bag X03, Chuenespoort, 0745
Telephone: (015) 633-7130
Fax: (015) 633-7149
Enquiries to: The Senior Archivist
Hours of opening: 08h00-16h30
Access: Access in accordance with the National Archives of South Africa Act, 1996.

Brief history: The repository was started in 1988 by the Department of Education of the former Lebowa Homeland and Government.

Acquisitions policy: Acquisition of material in accordance with the National Archives of South Africa Act, 1996.

Areas of specialisation: There are no areas of specialization. The repository acquires its material from government institutions based in the Northern Province.

Core holdings: The repository's core holdings comprise the following archives from the Departments of the former Lebowa Government. Files of the former head office as well as circuit office of the Department of Education. These archives are not heavily consulted. Files from the Department of Works. Files from the Department of Agriculture. Files from some magistrates under Lebowa Government namely: Seshego Magistrates Office, Naphuno Magistrate's Office, Namakgale Magistrates Office, Nebo Magistrate's Office, Sekhukhuni Magistrate's Office, Prakiseer Magistrate's Office, Thabamoopo Magistrate's Office. These archives are presently being consulted by the Land Claims Commission.

Finding aids: Only lists of the archives exist.

National register participation: No.




Street: Parliament Street, Cape Town, 8001
Postal: P.O. Box 18, Cape Town, 8000

Telephone: (021) 403-2141/2/3
Fax: (021) 461-4331
Website: *
Enquiries to: The Chief Librarian
Hours of opening: Parliament in session Mon-Fri 08h45-16h00 or adjournment: Sat 09h00-12h00, Parliament in recess Mon-Fri 09h00-16h00
Access: Bona fide researchers. None of the collections are restricted.

Brief history: The most important figure connected with the history of the Manuscript Section of the Library of Parliament is Sidney Mendelssohn. After his death in 1917 his donation of 7031 books, maps, paintings and manuscripts was transported from England to South Africa. A special section was established in the Library of Parliament to house the collection and in 1922 the Mendelssohn Section, in which all manuscripts are now kept, was opened.

Acquisitions policy: Not stated.

Areas of specialisation: Cape Politics and Parliamentary history. Anglo-Boer War. Early South African history. Freedom of the Press in South Africa. Botany. Cape Travel Descriptions. Biographies. Africana Bibliographies.

Core holdings: Cape Politics and Parliamentary history: Robert Godlonton and Afrikaner Bond collections; Freedom of the Press in S.A.: Pringle-Fairbairn collection; Botany: CH Wehdemann and EA Willmott collection; Early S.A. History: HCV Leibbrandt, George Macartney and J McKay collections; Anglo-Boer War: Christelijke Vereeniging en Jongelings Vereeniging collections; Cape Travel Descriptions: Borcherds, Bryant collections; Biographies: RM Bowker, WH Schrvder collections; Africana bibliographies: Sidney Mendelssohn.

Finding aids: Card catalogue for books prior to 1980. Computerised catalogue for journals and books after 1980.

National register participation: No.




Street: Egerton Road, Kimberley, 8301
Postal: P.O. Box 316, Kimberley, 8300

Telephone: (053) 842-0099
Fax: (053) 842-1433
Enquiries to: The Archivist
Hours of opening: 08h00-16h00
Access: Appointment should be made in advance. Some of the documents/ manuscripts are only available with permission from the Board of Trustees.

Brief history: The document and manuscript collection dates back to 1971 with the appointment of the first Historian. Before that, the McGregor Museum was a Natural History Museum. The original building was donated by Mrs Margaret McGregor to the citizens of Kimberley to use as a museum (1907).

Acquisitions policy: Documents, manuscripts, ephemera of social and cultural and military history events in the Northern Cape.

Areas of specialisation: Griqualand West and Kimberley. Discovery of diamonds. Land disputes in the Northern Cape. History of the Northern Frontier. Siege of Kimberley. Western Campaign of Anglo-Boer War.

Core holdings: Social and Cultural History of Kimberley. Philipson-Stow papers (formation of De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd.). Estates of the Griqualand West Board of Executors. Albania district. Griqualand West early history.

National register participation: NAREM. Not linked for on-line retrieval.




Street: Martin Street, Mafikeng
Postal: P.O. Box 526, Mafikeng, 2745

Telephone: (018) 3816102
Fax: (018) 3815090
Enquiries to: The Curator
Hours of opening:

Mon-Fri 08h00-16h00
Sat. 10:00-13:00

Access: Other than displays, all material either in storage or in the research library is available for study on request to the curator. Material from our research library is not lent out.

Brief history: The museum was first established in 1975 as a Cape Province aided museum. The small collection at that time comprised mainly material related to the "Siege of Mafikeng" of 1899-1900. In 1988 work began to eliminate the Eurocentric bias and to establish museum displays to reflect the history and cultures of our people as a whole. This work is still continuing. In 1990 the museum was administered by the Bophuthatswana Government and, from 1994, the Government of the North West (Department of Arts, Culture and Sport). We have about 3000 artefacts on display and in storage as well as a research library of 2-3000 books, documents, papers, photographs, maps, etc.

Acquisitions policy: The museum acquires, and has acquired, almost all of its artefacts through donation. A very small portion has been acquired on loan but, like many museums today, we discourage loans, except between museums. Very few artefacts have been purchased due to lack of funds.

Areas of specialisation: Mainly cultural history of the region (Mafikeng local history and the indigenous culture and history of a region within about 200 km radius from Mafikeng).

Core holdings: Large numbers of photographs - many on display - related to the artefacts on display, e.g. that of Tswana and Khoisan culture, the Anglo-Boer War, rocks, minerals and fossils of the North West and railways, as well as the life of Sol T Plaatje.

National register participation: No.




Street: University of the Western Cape, Modderdam Road, Bellville, 7535
Postal: Private Bag X17, Bellville, 7535

Telephone: (021) 959-2935/2954
Fax: (021) 959-3411
Website: * *
Enquiries to: The Coordinator: Collections
Hours of opening:

Mon-Fri 10h00-15h30
(By appointment only)

Access: The Mayibuye Centre Archive is open to all bona fide researchers, by appointment only. Certain collections may be restricted, depending on donor requirements. More information is available upon request.

Brief history: The Mayibuye Centre for History and Culture in South Africa is a pioneering project based at the University of the Western Cape. It focuses on all aspects of apartheid, resistance, social life and culture in South Africa. The word Mayibuye is a popular slogan meaning "let it return" in the Nguni languages. The Centre deals with aspects of South African history which were neglected in the past and aims to facilitate cultural creativity and expression in a way that encourages the process of democratic reconstruction and change. The Cabinet has recognised the importance of the Centre by recommending that it should be incorporated into the new showcase National Museum which is being established on Robben Island.

Acquisitions policy: The Mayibuye Centre collects and disseminates material relating to all aspects of apartheid, resistance, social life and culture in South Africa. Its collections comprise a range of different media types, including historical documents, photographs, audio, film-video, art, posters, cartoons and other historical memorabilia.

Areas of specialisation: The Centre has an active programme of exhibitions, conferences, workshops and community outreach activities. Recent exhibitions include "Apartheid and Resistance" which accompanied the "Anne Frank" traveling exhibition to 10 cities in South Africa and Namibia. "Margins to Mainstream: Lost South African Photographers", exhibited at the Grahamstown Festival and then at the Africa '95 Festival in the UK, and a retrospective exhibition of the work of the neglected octogenarian artist George Pemba organised together with the South African National Gallery. In its efforts to access materials more widely the Centre has launched a multimedia CD-ROM series "Apartheid and the History of the Struggle for Freedom in South Africa" and more recently a "Freedom Struggle Video Series" which consists of 50 documentary productions banned under apartheid. More than 80 titles have been published by Mayibuye Books in its "History and Literature Series."

Core holdings: The Centre's multi-media collections comprise a documentary archive, a library of more than 50 000 photographs, a film section with over 1 000 productions, an oral history project, an art collection and a publishing unit. The archive acquired papers from more than 280 individuals and organisations, including Archbishop Tutu, Kadar Asmal, Albie Sachs, the African National Congress-in-exile; the South African Congress of Trade Unions (SACTU); the Women's National Coalition; the South African Non-Racial Olympic Committee; the General Recreation Committee which represented political prisoners on Robben Island; and the London based International Defence and Aid Fund.

Finding aids: The Centre continuously produces published guides to individual collections in its holdings. These are for sale at a cost of R15-00 each from the Mayibuye Centre Bookshop.

National register participation: The Centre has recently started making contributions to NAREM. In the near future, it plans to do the same for its audio-visual material, and contributions are currently being prepared by Mayibuye Centre staff. At this stage, the Centre is not linked up to the National Registers for on-line retrieval purposes.



Street: 280 Scheiding Street, Pretoria
Postal: 275 Jacob Mari Street, Pretoria, 0002

Telephone: (012) 322-0420/322-2805
Fax: (012) 320-2742
Enquiries to: The Curator
Hours of opening: Tue-Fri 07h30-15h45
Access: By appointment only.

Brief history: Original documents regarding Heys family of Melrose House.

Acquisitions policy: Original documents regarding Heys family of Melrose House. Original documents regarding Signing of Peace Treaty of Vereeniging at Melrose House. Greeting cards late 19th and early 20th century.

Areas of specialisation: As in acquisitions policy above.

Core holdings: As in acquisitions policy above.

Finding aids: Some published in Melrose House brochure.

National register participation: No.



Address: Street: Long Street, Montagu, 6720
Postal: P.O. Box 107, Montagu, 6720
Telephone: (023) 614-1950
Fax: (023) 614-1950
Enquiries to: The Curator
Hours of opening: Mon-Fri 8h00-17h00
Access: No restrictions.

Brief history: In 1996 all documentation in possession of the Montagu Museum was accommodated in a documentation centre - the building adjacent to the Ou Sendingkerk Museum. This centre houses the museum library - Africana and Montaguana - documents and photograph collections. We are in the process of putting everything on computer.

Acquisitions policy: See areas of specialisation below.

Areas of specialisation: Traditional Medicines Project. Ar de Vries fossil collection. Architecture of Montagu. Cultural/Historical History of Montagu.

Core holdings: Indigenous Medicinal Plant Project: 18 years research findings of medicinal plants and their uses. Area of research: Montagu District. Ongoing research, so far 120 plants have been researched. Ar de Vries Fossil Collection: Complete collection of fossils in the process of being classified and catalogued as well as researched. Montagu Architecture: Complete documentation of National Monuments; other historical buildings, Conservation Zones. Cultural/Historical History of Montagu: Theme of Museum collection pertaining to social, political, economic and religious aspects of the community.

Finding aids: Acquisition register.

National register of participation: No.




Street: 121 Bree Street, Newtown, Johannesburg
Postal: P.O. Box 517, Newtown, 2113

Telephone: (011) 833-5624-35
Fax: (011) 833-5636
Website: *

Enquiries to: The Curator, Documentation
Hours of opening:

Tues-Fri 09h00-13h00
(or by appointment)

Access: Unrestricted.

Brief history: Started in 1935 as the Africana Museum, and renamed MuseuMAfricA in 1994. Funded by Johannesburg local government. Incorporates the Johannesburg Geological Museum, the Bensusan Museum of Photography, the James Hall Museum of Transport, the Museum of South African Rock Art and the Bernberg Fashion Museum. Primarily a museum collection, consisting of objects, but also has significant archival holdings.

Acquisitions policy: To acquire, through gift, purchase or recording, archival material in any of the Museum's collecting fields. Photographs are heavily collected. With regard to manuscripts and audio visual formats, we would concentrate on material which is suitable for exhibition or which provides background information on objects in the collection. Often collections are split between the Museum and our sister institution, the Strange Library of African Studies.

Areas of specialisation: South African history and cultural history. South African rock art. The history of photography, with special reference to South Africa, concentrating on still photography. Geology (international).

Core holdings: Core holdings as regards archival material are: South African history (primarily photographs), with specialisation in South African portraiture, the Anglo-Boer War, Christian missionaries, tribal people and transport. Johannesburg: people, places and events (primarily photographs). South African places and buildings (primarily photographs). The Times Media Collection: photographs from newspapers such as the Rand Daily Mail, 1948-85. Louis Fourie collection of Bushman material. Manuscript maps, early South African (jointly with Strange Library). Archives of South African photographic clubs, associations, etc. 1956 Treason Trial. Boy Scouts of South Africa. Church of the Province of South Africa (photographic archive).

Finding aids: Card catalogue.

National register participation: No.



Previous <<1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >> Next


[Home] [About NARS] [NAAIRS]


* Notice: You are about to leave the National Archives web site.
Thanks for visiting us.

Disclaimer:  Some of the hyperlinks to other web sites may be inaccurate.  Please contact these organisations for the correct addresses.