entries of Archival Repositories 1999
|Address:||Street: 36 Pilgrim Street,
Postal: Private Bag X1626, Barberton, 1300
|Enquiries to:||The Curator|
|Hours of opening:||Mon-Fri 07h45-13h00, 13h30-16h15|
|Access:||Museum staff will assist visitors/ researchers during office hours.|
Brief history: The collection consists of documents which have been collected by the museum for research purposes. The museum was established in 1898.
Acquisitions policy: The museum collects documents, photographs and artefacts which are associated with the history of Barberton.
Areas of specialisation: Mining history. Barberton area. Transport. Personal diaries and letters of old inhabitants.
Core holdings: Photographs of Barberton area. Personal letters and diaries of old Barbertonians. Mining documents.
Finding aids: Unpublished.
National register participation: No.
|Address:||Street: Katherine Street,
Postal: P.O. Box 782248, Sandton, 2146
|Enquiries to:||The Group Archivist|
|Hours of opening:||Mon-Fri 08h30-12h30
(excluding Public Holidays). By appointment only
|Access:||Only archives and private papers which have been arranged and described.|
Brief history: Established by Rand Mines Limited in 1963 to assist the author of the company's 75th anniversary book. When Barlows acquired Rand Mines in June 1971 it was decided to establish an archives department on a proper footing and appoint an archivist, i.e. Maryna Fraser, who assumed the position in 1973.
Acquisitions policy: Not a specific policy because our archives contain only records of companies in the Barlow group which are deposited voluntarily.
Areas of specialisation: Mining predominantly.
Core holdings: The old records of Rand Mines and its parent companies: H Eckstein and Co., 1887-1910. Wernher, Beit and Co., 1890-1910. The Central Mining and Investment Corporation Limited, London and Johannesburg, 1911-1950s. Rand Mines Limited, 1893-1990s. Thos Barlow and Sons. CG Smith Limited. Some private papers, notably those of Sir Lionel Phillips.
Finding aids: Inventories.
National register participation: NAREM. Not linked for on-line retrieval.
THE BRENTHURST LIBRARY
|Address:||Street: Federation Road,
Postal: P.O. Box 87184, Houghton, 2041
|Enquiries to:||The Librarian|
|Hours of opening:||09h00-12h30, 14h00-16h30
Brief history: The Brenthurst Library is a private institution. It houses the Africana Collections of HF Oppenheimer.
Acquisitions policy: An Africana Library purchasing material relating in particular to Southern Africa.
National register participation: Contribution of holdings to NAREM in progress. Not linked for on-line retrieval.
CAPE TOWN ARCHIVES
|Address:||Street: 72 Roeland Street,
Postal: Private Bag X9025, Cape Town, 8000
|Enquiries to:||The Head|
|Hours of opening:||Mon-Fri 08h00-16h00,
Thursdays until 19h00
(excluding Public Holidays)
|Access:||Records, both public and non-public, twenty years old or older can be consulted in the reading room of the repository. Records younger than twenty years may be consulted after approval of the National Archivist on the recommendation of the Head of the Repository. Written applications for access are to be addressed to the Head of the Repository.|
Brief history: In 1876 the Cape government appointed a commission whose most important task was to collect, examine, classify and index the archives of the Colony. In 1879 Dr George McCall Theal was charged with the part-time supervision over the archives. In January 1881 he was succeeded by the Rev HCV Leibbrandt. All colonial archives dating before 1806 were transferred to the Government Public Library. From 1886 the archives were housed in fireproof rooms in the basement of the Parliament. Leibbrandt devoted much of his time to the binding of documents and the publication of his well-known Pricis of the Archives of the Cape of Good Hope. In 1908 Leibbrandt retired and his post was not refilled. In 1909 a commission was appointed "to have the custody on behalf of the Colonial Government of the Archives". Two officials were appointed to arrange and inventorize the archives after office hours. Mr CG Botha was transferred to the Cape Archives as chief in 1912 and the commission held its last meeting in February 1913. As a result of the re-organization of the archives service in 1919, the Cape Archives became an integral part of the SA government archives administration. From 1934-1989 the Cape Archives occupied the building of the University of South Africa in Queen Victoria Street. At the end of 1989 the Cape Archives moved to its present location, a custom-designed building in Roeland Street and subsequently assumed the name Cape Town Archives Repository.
Acquisitions policy: In accordance with the National Archives of South Africa Act (Act 43 of 1996) all public records in the Western Cape are transferred to the Cape Town Archives Repository when they are twenty years old or older. The repository also collects non-public records with enduring value pertaining to the history of the Western Cape Province and its diverse communities.
Areas of specialisation: Public and non-public records concerning the history of the Cape Colony/Province and in particular the Western Cape which are supplemented by collections of maps, photographs, microfilms, books, pamphlets and official publications.
Core holdings: The archives in the custody of the repository are the documentary legacies of offices which functioned during the administration of the Dutch East India Company, 1652-1795; the period of the First British Occupation, 1795-1802; the Batavian Period, 1803-1806; the British Colonial Period, 1806-1910 and the Union/Republic Period after 1910. The post-1910 archives are principally those of the Cape Provincial Administration, sub-offices of central government departments in the Cape Province (eg. magistrates' offices) and offices of local authorities in the Cape Province (eg. municipalities). Archival groups: Council of Policy, 1651-1795. Court of Justice, 1652-1843. Master of the Supreme Court, Cape Town, 1670-1950. Slave Office, 1789-1845. Colonial Office, 1795-1912. Government House, 1800-1911. Batavian Republic, 1801-1806. Registrar, Supreme Court, Cape Town, 1828-1975. Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1892-1972. Non-public records: Sir B D'Urban, 1823-1854 (A519). FS Malan, 1795-1941 (A583). St. George's Cathedral, 1806-1923 (A1939). Sir Richard Southey, 1834-1899 (A611). Maclear-Mann Papers, 1811-1909 (A515). Urban Foundation, 1973-1991 (A2562). Photographic collections: General, Elliott, Jeffreys, Ravenscroft and Steer collections. Microfilms: Algemeen Rijksarchief, The Hague, 1602-1946 (ZA). London Missionary Society, 1795-1923 (ZL). Public Record Office, London, 1795-1910 (ZP).
Finding aids: Computerized finding aids in the form of guides (arranged archives and non-public records) and lists (map, photograph, microfilm, verbatim copies and publications collections as well as series of computerized archives) are available in the reading room. Computer terminals can be utilized for further accessing. Other finding aids comprise typescript inventories of arranged archives groups and collections of non-public records and indexes to various collections and a number of archives groups.
National register participation: The repository contributes to NAREM and NAREF, and is linked up for on-line retrieval using these data bases.
CATHOLIC HISTORY BUREAU
|Address:||Street: 3 Third Avenue,
Victoria Park, 2195
Postal: P.O. Box 44029, Linden, 2104
|Enquiries to:||The Archivist|
|Hours of opening:||Mon 09h00-13h00,
|Access:||Members of the public can consult the Archivist and have access to the collection, with the permission of the Archivist.|
Brief history: The repository commenced in 1925 as the De Mazenod Circle at the Belmont Scholasticate, Dublin, Ireland. The aim was to collect material relating to the Oblates of the Irish Province. When Father JE Brady, OMI, arrived in Pretoria in 1930, the name was changed to the Catholic History Bureau. Emphasis was placed on collecting all early material of the Oblate Missions in South Africa. Exhibitions were held in 1937, 1938, 1947 and 1954. Journal articles and books were produced based on material housed in the Archives. In 1961 the Catholic History Bureau became a member of the S.A. Society of Archivists. The archives were housed in various locations until 1977, when a room was loaned to the Director in the William Cullen Library, at the University of the Witwatersrand. In August 1992, a permanent building was opened in Victory Park, Johannesburg, which houses the present collection.
Acquisitions policy: The aim is to collect historical accounts of the origin and development of the Oblate Order and of the work being done in countries such as Canada, Australia and Southern Africa. There are also some accounts of the missionary work of other Orders and of the development of the various parishes of the Roman Catholic Church. There is a section of general Africana which provides historical background to the work of the church. Material collected includes books, journals, diaries, manuscripts, correspondence and newspaper clippings. Acquisition has been mainly through donation. There is a small budget for book acquisition.
Areas of specialisation: History of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate in South Africa. History of the various churches in the former Transvaal area and the Witwatersrand.
Core holdings: Journals including Etudes Oblates; Vie Oblate (Oblate Life); Oblate Missionary Record; Catholic Magazine for South Africa; Southern Cross. Other periodical publications include the Southern African Catholic Directories (from 1908 onwards); the OMI Personnel and the OMI Necrologium. Manuscript collections include the correspondence of early bishops of the Transvaal Vicariate such as Bishop W Miller and Bishop C Cox. There are also various pamphlets commemorating church anniversaries and important occasions. There is a vast collection of photographs which includes personalities, important occasions and meetings of church dignitaries, church buildings and educational institutions affiliated to the church.
Finding aids: Unpublished catalogue on cards to books, journals and pamphlets. The photographs and manuscript collections are being catalogued electronically.
National register participation: No.
|Address:||Street: Senate Street
South, University of the Orange Free State, Bloemfontein
Postal: P.O. Box 2320, Bloemfontein, 9300
|Enquiries to:||The Deputy Director|
|Hours of opening:||Mon-Fri 08h30-12h45, 13h30-16h30|
|Access:||The final decision regarding access to a private document collection is the prerogative of the Director of this Archive. Although the majority of document collections may be consulted without any special permission of the donor, there are certain collections which are subject to specific donor stipulations. Applications for the viewing of these collections must be made in advance.|
Brief history: Towards the end of 1964 a campaign was launched to establish a centre for the collection and preservation of political documents at the University of the Orange Free State with a view to the writing of a South African history since 1902. The stimulation of contemporary historiography was as yet a barren field in South Africa. As a result, the Institute for Contemporary History came into existence towards the end of 1970. The Institute consisted of three divisions, namely the Documentation Division, the Press Cutting and the Research Division. In 1998 the Documentation Division became fully autonomous and has since been known as the Archive for Contemporary Affairs.
Acquisitions policy: The Archive is interested in documents in private possession pertaining to South Africa's contemporary history. No documents are purchased and everything in our collections has been donated to the Archive. The Archive regards it as unscientific that one person's documents should be housed in more than one institution. Fragmenting a collection not only complicates the task of the researcher, but also destroys the overall image of the collection. The Archive is therefore faced with the challenge to enter into discussions with other research institutions, and to keep them informed of donations to the Archive. It is equally important to set an example and we therefore refrain from receiving documents which form part of a collection already accommodated elsewhere.
Areas of specialisation: Contemporary affairs.
Core holdings: At present the Archive houses more than 900 private document collections. This includes the collections of economists, politicians, church, cultural and community leaders; e.g. Persons: Basson, Mr J.D. du P.; Botha, Mr P.W.; De Klerk, Mr F.W.; Diederichs, Dr N.; Hertzog, Dr Albert; Heunis, Mr J.C. (Chris); Jansen, Adv E.G.; Louw, Dr E.H.; Meyer, Mr R.P. (Roelf); Rousseau, Dr Ettiene; Strauss, Adv J.G.N.; Swart, Adv C.R.; Taylor, Mrs Catherine; Treurnicht, Dr A.P.; Verwoerd, Dr H.F.; Viljoen, Mr Marais; Vorster, Adv B.J.; Vorster, Mrs M.S. (Tini); Wessels, Adv Leon; Weichardt, Mr L.T. Institutions: Afrikaanse Taal- en Kultuurvereniging (ATKV), Federasie van Afrikaanse Kultuurvereniginge (FAK), Federale Vroueraad, Federasie van Rapportryerskorpse, Oranje Vrouevereniging, Suid-Afrikaanse Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns, Suid-Afrikaanse Handelsinstituut.
Finding aids: Inventories.
National register participation: Contributes to NAREM, NAREF and NAROS. Not linked for on-line retrieval.
CORY LIBRARY FOR
|Address:||Street: Rhodes University,
Postal: P.O. Box 184, Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, 6140
|Enquiries to:||The Cory Librarian|
|Hours of opening:||Mon-Fri 08h30-17h00,
|Access:||The Cory Library has a very wide usership pattern promoted by the staff as part of our open door policy. In addition to the staff and students of Rhodes University, users include researchers from all over the world, postgraduate and undergraduate students from other tertiary institutions in South Africa, scholars from local schools and members of the public from Grahamstown and the wider Eastern Cape.|
Brief history: The Cory Library for Historical Research is a special collection in the field of Southern African history and other related disciplines. Begun in the 1930s with the presentation by Sir George Cory of his collection of historical books and documents to the Library of Rhodes University College, the Cory Library has developed into a specialised library within the Rhodes University Library service.
Acquisitions policy: The Cory Library collects material of all kinds to support research into the history of Southern Africa and related fields in the social sciences. The aim has been to build up collections of historical records irrespective of physical form and to catalogue these in detail so that the maximum amount of information can be made available quickly to the researcher. Collections include manuscripts and other documents, Cape and other government publications, rare and modern books, periodicals and newspapers, maps, pictorial materials, microforms, video and audio recordings and electronic media. Records include personal documents such as diaries, autobiographies, family histories and farmers' diaries as well as institutional collections of churches, local, political and non-governmental organisations, business and professional bodies, mining houses, service clubs and educational institutions.
Areas of specialisation: Cory Library holdings are particularly strong with regard to the history and politics of the Cape and Southern Africa, the Xhosa people, churches, missions, education, mining, Eastern Cape commerce and agriculture, as well as local history and Xhosa literature. The Cory Library is presently building up a collection of oral histories and interviews in co-operation with several academic departments.
Core holdings: The holdings of the Cory Library are extensive and it would be difficult to give details of each major collection. Examples of our largest and/or most frequently used collections include the Archives of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa, the Archives of the Eastern Cape Presbyteries of the Presbyterian Church, the Archives of the Diocese of Grahamstown, the Archives of the Order of Ethiopia, the Archives of the Baptist Church (Eastern Cape), the Church Registers Collection, the Lovedale Collection, the Healdtown Collection, the Gold Fields Collection, the Archives of the Association of Round Tables of Southern Africa (ARTSA), the Archives of the Grahamstown Foundation and the Archives of Rhodes University itself.
Finding aids: All material housed in Cory Library is listed in detail on the Library's integrated computerised catalogue (URICA) or in the card catalogues in the Library. The computerised catalogue is accessible via the Library's home page at http://www.ru.ac.za/library/ *. The Cory Library also publishes a Register of Documents which is circulated to major repositories locally and abroad. The next edition will be the 33rd since the Register first appeared in 1946. In addition, Cory Library is linked online via the Internet to the National Registers of Manuscripts (NAREM), Photographs (NAREF) and Audio-Visual Material (NAROM) as well as to the SABINET databases.
National register participation: Cory Library contributes to the NAREM, NAREF and NAROM to which it is linked on-line via the Internet.
Previous << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >> Next
[Home] [About NARS] [NAAIRS]
* Notice: You are about
to leave the National Archives web site.
Thanks for visiting us.
Disclaimer: Some of the hyperlinks to other web sites may be inaccurate. Please contact these organisations for the correct addresses.